Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Quilting and Weaving Works, Winter 2011-2012

I have been working on a few quilts this winter and also doing some more weaving, some of which I have sold to individuals either on commission or at events.  Here is my most recent experiment.  It was an exercise in Egyptian Diagonals, assigned by a weaving mentor, and I think I got the hang of it!  After figuring out how to do the basics, I experimented with turning and making different shapes and designs.



A few other things I've been working on include this Packers quilt for my sister's grandson.  It's late in arriving for Christmas, but this was due to a family emergency--her friend was very ill and passed away in December.  My sister went to be with her for her final days and Christmas was put on hold.  I finished this and handed it off to her in early January.


The second half of the antique quilt completion project has concluded as well.  These four quilts were tops originally hand-pieced by her grandmother, and were handed back to Tina this morning over coffee.  She was delighted to have the quilts completed and ready to be added to her cozy home.


This is the quilt that I added a different fabric on the back than what she had provided.  She had picked up antique bed sheets--mostly--for the backs, but this one had been paired up with a Made-in-China, 100% polyester bedsheet.  It was awful and I could not bear to sew this awful fabric to the back of this gorgeous hand-sewn quilt.  I wrote to her begging to allow me to find something more suitable, and made a deal with a Civil War reproduction that I had found on sale a couple years ago.  She loved it!


These are some fun quilts with space aliens on the tan fabric.


More of this alien fabric.  Too fun!


More weaving that I have done.  This one I thought the color combination was really striking!  It's just over 4 yards and I am selling it for $60.  I called it "Double Diamonds" since the pattern on the back also has diamonds.



This one took a lot more work, so I'd have to sell it for a bit more, but I'm not sure I'm ready to part with it...at least not yet.  I could make another one like it if someone was interested in owning one like it and would sell it for $75.  This one is also about 4 yards and is called "Ram's Horn."  I love this pattern...maybe because I'm an Aries...


This is a piece of weaving that I called "Barony of Aquaterra, Kingdom of An Tir" due to its color combinations.  Black, yellow & white are for the kingdom; blue, green & white are the Barony's.  It was donated as a prize to the Ursulmas Medieval Faire and was given to a lady by the name of Emma.


This one I called "Black and White and Red all over", for obvious reasons.  It was two yards and sold for $30.  It was an experimental weave of a pattern that I just made up.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can reproduce it exactly...I was trying to create a pattern from a finished piece I saw in a book, but was unsuccessful.  It still looks interesting, but not what I was aiming for.


This is a commissioned piece for Molly.  I worked out a special deal with her for this 4 yard piece.  This was loosely based on a pattern I found online, but I did a different turning sequence to come up with this repeating pattern of diamonds.  


This is another 4 yard band that I called "Hugs and Kisses" (see the X and O?).  I sold this one for $60 also.  This was from an online pattern generator.


This is another favorite, the Aquaterra band.  A 4 yard piece for $60.   This is also the Double Diamond pattern, but obviously with different color placement. This is one of my favorites, I think!


What's next on my docket?  I've got a couple quilts for my sister--a pair of scrappy quilt tops--as well as a weaving band for a High School friend who wants a belt with Anchors on it.  Another commission from Juana for a woven piece that looks like watermelons...that'll be fun!  I also have a tunic to finish for Tyrssen, the 4th of 4 tunics he commissioned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment